Wednesday, October 28, 2009

So I may have officially lost my mind...

Gosh what a month, and what a week. Could I have possibly made my life any busier than it is at this moment? And when exactly am I going to give us a break from the craziness? Not anytime soon it seems, so it is no wonder that on Friday morning we got a call that Aaron was once again needed in Colorado, starting Monday, for another 7 to 10 days. He offered to say no, he couldn't leave us, but I don't feel we are in much of a position to test the waters in the current economy despite assurances that the company and owner's motto seem to be "whatever makes Aaron happy". So away to Colorado Aaron went. What do I do then? Look for ways to make life busier of course!

After an already busy previous week, William's 6-month immunizations one day, doctor appointment the next (he was a whopping 19lbs, 14oz, healthy and happy), Maria's swimming lessons Monday and Wednesday and gymnastics Thursday, I decided that this week too should be just as crazy. So, in the spirit of being medically responsible, I decided that we would get our H1N1 shots on the first day they rolled out. I braved the cold, with two kids, woefully unprepared for the 5 hour wait! Amazingly we survived sanity intact! And so, today, I am thanking God for wonderful, kind and generous people. When it was obvious we would be out in the cold for a long time, two complete strangers offered to hold my place in line so that I could take the kids in out of the cold. When Maria needed to run to the bathroom, those same people again held our spot. When it was obvious that I had forgotten to bring a stroller for my 20lb son (like I said, woefully unprepared), another stranger offered us the extra from her car. When Maria became bored with our toys, another mom offered her crayons and coloring books she had brought for her own children, and one family invited her to join them at their portal DVD player to watch the Lion King. Thank goodness I brought snacks and food - although I am now sure that someone would have offered us that as well. And guess what! We likely get to do this all again for the booster both kids need in 3 weeks. Isn't life grand?!

Thankfully our November should be a little less crazy. Maria will be continuing swimming lessons (as highly recommended by her instructor), but only one evening a week instead of 2 afternoons, and gymnastics continues until December too. We will be beginning private dog training sessions soon too, which will do wonders in reducing my stress level where the dog is concerned (we were to start those sessions last night, but the trainer's daughter came down with sudden "flu-like symptoms" and she was kind enough to think of my two little ones and what she might be carrying into our house). We are also having William baptized on the 15th of November, having finally secured a date that worked for Aaron to be present. And then, of course, December will hit and there will be Christmas preparations to think about. In some ways I think my life will be simpler when I return to work. Maybe then I will stop looking for ways to fill up my time, and just be glad to have down time at home.

No comments: